Apple Dumplings - Kentucky Style
Author: Lisa Rice
Recipe type: Dessert
- 6-8 Apples (peeled and shredded)
Sauce (Boil for 3 minutes):
- 1 C Sugar
- 2 C Water
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon
Pie Dough (Mix together):
- 2 C Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ⅔ C Shortening
- Sprinkle with 4 Tbsp. Water
- Gather the pie dough in a ball and roll out into a rectangle on a floured surface (about 9x13).
- Spread the shredded apples evenly over the pie dough.
- Mix together ½ C sugar and ½ tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples.
- Dot with butter.
- You may add chopped pecans, raisins, etc. at this time.
- Starting on the long side, roll up as you would a jelly roll.
- Place the edge side down in a 9x13 pan.
- Pour the syrup mixture around the roll.
- After about 30 minutes, spoon some of the syrup over the roll, so it will brown (you may want to do this several times.)
- You may also sprinkle sugar over the top of the roll before placing it in the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Let cool slightly and serve with half-n-half or ice cream.