With college comes a new campus, new friend and many new freedoms—including the challenge of cooking for yourself. Tackling the kitchen isn’t everyone’s specialty so we’ve come up with seven easy recipes to master in no time.
“Baked” Oatmeal in-a-mug
For the most important meal of the day, try this “Baked” Oatmeal in a Mug for a fulfilling on-the-go breakfast. When you’re in a hurry to class, this microwave version hits the spot. Like any oatmeal, you can add or change the flavors to suit your taste.
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ banana, mashed
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ of an apple. chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- Add oats, flax, egg and milk in a mug. Stir well with a fork. Add banana, cinnamon, apple and honey.
- Stir again until fully combined. Cook in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Easy Oven Fajitas
Make your dorm room the go-to dorm for study sessions with this Easy Oven Fajitas recipe. It’s guaranteed to satisfy all appetites!
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅓ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ Tbsp corn starch
- 2 small (or 1 lg.) onion
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium lime
- 8 (6-inch) tortillas
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
- ¼ bunch cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients for the fajita seasoning in a small bowl and set aside (chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt, and corn starch).
- Cut the onion and bell peppers into ¼ to ½ inch wide strips. Place them in a large 9×13 inch casserole dish. Slice the chicken breast into very thin strips and add it to the casserole dish with the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the meat and vegetables. Drizzle the vegetable oil over everything and then use your hands to toss the ingredients until everything is well coated in oil and seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring once half way through. Squeeze the juice from half of the lime over top of the meat and vegetables after it comes out of the oven.
- Scoop a small amount of meat and vegetables into the center of each tortilla. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, and an extra squeeze of lime if desired.
Single Serving Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie
Craving some sugar but lacking the space (and time) to bake? This Single Serving Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie can be made in a toaster oven – perfect for dorm life!
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Drop or two of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 Tablespooons semisweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Have one 6-ounce ceramic ramekin ready*.
- In a medium microwavable bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in both sugars and vanilla for at least 1 minute (you must really whisk in the sugars or it will be grainy after baking). Whisk in salt, baking soda, and flour, Whisk in the chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the ramekin. Bake 15-18 minutes or until the top is firm and brown. Let cool for a few minutes before serving with ice cream.
- *Using a different size and/or type of ramekin may affect intended texture of the cookie.
Margherita Pizza Quesdilla
A quesadilla maker is a must-have appliance for your first apartment – ideal for quick and healthy meals, like this Margherita Pizza Quesadilla!
- • 1 flour tortilla
- • 1 tomato, sliced
- • 3 oz mozzarella, sliced
- • 4 large basil leaves, chopped
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the tortilla in the pan, and layer the tomato, mozzarella, and basil leaves on one half of the tortilla. Cook for a minute before folding the empty half of the tortilla over the other side. Cook for another two minutes, or until the cheese is beginning to melt and the underside of the tortilla is brown. Flip, and cook until this side is also brown.
- Slice and serve!
Cheesy Stuffed Pizza Shells
Cottage cheese, mozzarella, and Parmesan fill these stuffed shells for a super-cheesy meatless pasta dish.
- • 1 jar (24 oz.) spaghetti sauce
- • 1 large tomato, chopped
- • 1 container (16 oz.) BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN 2% Milkfat Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- • 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
- • 1 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- • ¼ cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese
- • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- • 20 jumbo pasta shells, cooked
- HEAT oven to 400°F.
- COMBINE spaghetti sauce and tomatoes; spread half onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish.
- MIX cottage cheese, spinach, ½ cup mozzarella, Parmesan and seasoning; spoon into pasta shells. Place over sauce in baking dish; top with remaining sauce. Cover.
- BAKE 25 min. or until heated through. Top with remaining mozzarella; bake, uncovered, 2 min. or until melted.
- Make Ahead
- Assemble recipe as directed. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, bake, covered, in 400°F oven 35 min. or until heated through.
- Freeze Ahead
- Reserve ½ cup of the mozzarella. Assemble recipe as directed, but do not top with the reserved mozzarella. Wrap casserole in foil; freeze. When ready to serve, heat oven to 400°F. Unwrap casserole; cover with foil. Bake 55 min. or until heated through, removing foil after 30 min. Top with reserved mozzarella; bake 2 min. or until melted.
The Retro Grilled Cheese
After a long day of studying, nothing beats a good ‘ole fashioned Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
- • 4 slices Wonderbread
- • 4 slices Kraft Singles or American cheese
- • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter.
- Place two slices of cheese between to slices of the bread.
- Arrange the two grilled cheese sandwiches in a single layer in the skillet. Cook until golden on both sides and the cheese is fully melted, about 3 minutes per side. For optimal cheese melting consider covering the skillet with a baking sheet or lid.
- Enjoy with ketchup!
Homemade Breakfast Sandwich
Skip the drive-thru. Your homemade breakfast sandwich, with cholesterol-free egg product and turkey bacon, is better for you—and tastier!
- • ¼ C Cholesterol-Free Egg Product
- • 1 English Muffin, split and toasted
- • 1 KRAFT 2% Milk Singles
- • 1 slice OSCAR MAYER Turkey Bacon, cooked and cut crosswise in half
- COOK egg product in skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat 3 minutes or until set, stirring occasionally.
- FILL muffin halves with egg, 2% Milk Singles, and bacon.
- Small ingredient substitutions, such as cholesterol-free egg product, KRAFT 2% Milk Singles, and OSCAR MAYER Turkey Bacon, result in a savings of 70 calories and 7g of fat, including 3.5g of sat fat, per serving when compared to a traditional recipe.
All of the ingredients listed can be purchased right at your local Market Basket. Handle college with ease and master these classic recipes today.