Cherries are in season now. Heart-healthy antioxidant vitamins are found in cherries. This fruit even contains a soothing antioxidant called melatonin. Melatonin is known to help produce a soothing effect on the brain neurons, which may help individuals sleep. Researchers who study the melatonin in cherries recommend a serving of cherries one hour before bedtime.
To help increase cherries in your diet, try this delicious, heart-healthy recipe. Wild Rice, Cherry, and Quinoa Salad is rich in fiber and antioxidant vitamins.
Wild Rice, Cherry, and Quinoa Salad
Makes: 8 Servings
Serving Size: ¾ Cup, 259 Calories Per Serving
• 1 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 2 cups halved, pitted fresh sweet cherries
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 3/4 cup, goat cheese, chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Whisk oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Add the cooked rice and quinoa, cherries, celery, goat cheese, and pecans.
3. Toss to combine.
4. Serve warm or cold. Delicious!