Author: Best Choice
Recipe type: Dinner
- Best Choice pan coat spray
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons Best Choice all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Best Choice tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Best Choice salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Best Choice ground black pepper
- 1 cup less-sodium beef broth
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced white mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-1/2 cups Best Choice frozen peas and carrots
- 1 container (24-ounce) Best Choice creamy mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with pan coat spray. In large nonstick skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium-high heat 7 to 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Stir in 3 tablespoons flour, tomato paste, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons broth; stir remaining broth into skillet. Heat to simmering and cook 2 minutes. Spread beef mixture evenly in bottom of prepared dish.
- In same skillet, cook mushrooms, onion, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Fold in peas and carrots and remaining 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons broth. Spread vegetable mixture evenly over beef mixture.
- In medium microwave-safe bowl, heat potatoes in microwave oven on high 1 minute to soften. Stir potatoes; spread evenly over vegetable mixture.
- Bake pie 20 to 25 minutes or until sides begin to bubble. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
- Chef Tip
- To brown top of finished pie, place oven rack about 8 inches from source of heat and preheat broiler. Lightly spray mashed potato topping with butter flavored cooking spray and heat under broiler 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned.