Spicy Sausage Pepperoni Pizza
Author: Linda Martin
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 12" Pizza Crusts
- 2 pkg. Dry Yeast
- 1 C warm Water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 Tbsp. Shortening
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 3½ C Flour (sifted)
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar (optional)
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Vinegar
- 1/4 C Dry Red Wine
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- ½ tsp. Italian Seasoning
- dash of Salt and Pepper
- ½ C Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 C Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 1 C Monterrey Jack Cheese, grated
- ½ Ib. Italian Bulk Sausage, browned
- 3½ oz sliced Pepperoni
- ⅓ C Ripe Olives
- 4 oz sliced Mushrooms, drained
- ½ C Onion, chopped
- ½ C Green Pepper, chopped
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in shortening, salt, 1 cup flour and sugar, if desired.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour (or until doubled in size) in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts.
- Punch dough down and divide in half.
- Lightly grease hands and pat dough evenly into 2 lightly greased pizza pans.
- Combine first 10 topping ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Spread sauce over pizza crusts, leaving ½" border around edges.
- Sprinkle ¼ C Parmesan cheese over pizza.
- Combine Mozzarella and Monterrey Jack cheeses; sprinkle 1 cup of mixture over each pizza.
- Sprinkle browned, drained Italian sausage over pizzas and top with pepperoni, olives, onion, mushrooms and green peppers.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.